Space cake – the world of cannabis is filled with delicious creations and a wide gamut of varied edible products, but you might not have heard of this one.
With today’s selection, cannabis enthusiasts have the luxury of sifting through a vast selection of infused beverages, including juices and teas, infused food, both sweet and savoury, as well as more flavourless tinctures. All of these options add a new dimension to the cannabis experience. However, despite the vast selection we have, there is one iconic edible that every cannabis consumer should know: The Space Cake.
This iconic edible has been a staple in many Amsterdam coffee shops for years and is considered a delicacy in the cannabis community. In addition to that, a Space Cake is highly customizable. You’ll find several variations of different recipes online, with each adding their unique twist to the cake.
Today, we’re going to be taking a look at the iconic Space Cake, covering a basic Space Cake recipe, and showing you how to make one at home. Keep on reading!
What is Space Cake?
Of all the cannabis edibles under the sun, the Space Cake reigns supreme as one of the most iconic cannabis edibles in existence. Hinting at what is can do from its name, a Space Cake is meant to take its user on a journey to space through its intense psychoactive effects. A Space Cake is essentially a cake that has been infused with the addition of cannabinoids and terpenes.
Most Space Cakes are made with cannabis extracts, making them incredibly potent. That said, it is not for the faint of heart and is recommended for experienced cannabis users. For reference, most cannabis extracts fall in a range of 60% to 99% THC content, making them by far the most potent products available on the market.
It’s important to note that cannabis edibles tend to affect users much differently than smoking or vaping cannabis. The effects of an edible can take anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 hours before they are felt. Overconsumption of cannabis edibles has commonly lead to unpleasant experiences and green-outs.
The Origin Of The Space Cake
Space Cakes originated in Amsterdam, earning the reputation of cannabis delicacy for decades. Space Cakes can easily be found in local coffee shops and cafes as they have grown to be a staple within the city.
In Amsterdam, the term “space” means to be infused with cannabis, so in many coffee shops and cafes, you will find an assortment of space beverages, cakes, and much more.
How to Make a Space Cake
Space Cakes come in a variety of different forms. There are no real strict rules when making a Space Cake, except that it must be infused with cannabis.
Thanks to the culinary refinement of many modern cannabis edibles, you’ll be quick to find several online recipes that push the boundaries far further than any rudimentary pot brownie ever could.
Those take experience and time to make correctly. In the meantime, here is a basic guide to making your very own Space Cakes. Since this is a more skeletal structure of a Space Cake, feel free to incorporate a few of your own ingredients to give the cake some character.
- 8-10 grams of decarboxylated cannabis, already-vaped-bud, or the equivalent in strength in a cannabis concentrate.
- One ¾ cups of flour
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- ¾ cup of milk or any lactose-free alternative
- Two eggs
- Two teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- A few additional ingredients of your choice (Cocoa powder, vanilla extract, chocolate chips, etc.)
- A weed grinder (for dry herb)
- A mixing bowl
- A microwaveable bowl
- A spatula or spoon for mixing
- A cake tin
- Non-stick cooking spray or parchment paper
- A microwave
- An oven
- A toothpick
- A cooling rack
- If you have decided to use dry herb for this recipe, you will need to decarboxylate it first before adding it to the cake. Preheat your oven to a temperature of 110°C and then lay your ground cannabis on a baking tray over some parchment paper.
- Once the oven has heated up, insert the baking tray with the weed on it in an oven and heat it for 30-40 minutes to fully decarboxylate it. Decarboxylation is used to maximize the bioavailability of cannabis, ensuring that the psychoactive compounds are active.
- After decarboxylating your weed, adjust the temperature of the oven to 190°C.
- If you haven’t already done so, grind your decarboxylated weed and then place the butter in your microwaveable bowl and microwave it for 20 seconds or until it is melted. Once your butter is melted, add your ground decarboxylated cannabis to the butter and combine it well to create some cannabis butter.
- In your mixing bowl, add the remainder of the ingredients. Add the flour, milk, eggs, sugar, cannabis butter, and any additional ingredients to the bowl. Mix the ingredients for 3 to 5 minutes until thoroughly combined and become a batter. Be sure to mix thoroughly as the cannabinoids in the weed will need to be evenly dispersed throughout the dough. Add additional flour or milk to compensate for excess dryness or wetness in the batter.
- Apply your non-stick cooking spray or some butter to the cake tin. Alternatively, you could line it with parchment paper.
- Add the cake batter to your cake tin, and then bake it in the oven for approximately 25 minutes.
- Once the time has passed, take the cake out of the oven and use your toothpick to puncture the cake center. This will indicate if it is ready to go or not. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done; if not, an additional few minutes in the oven may do the trick.
- Place your cake on the cooling rack and let it chill for approximately 20 minutes before removing it from the tin.
- After the 20 minutes have passed, remove the cake from the tin and let it chill on the cooling rack for an additional 30 minutes.
- Add personal garnishings and enjoy!
Space Cake – A Cake That’s a Blast
This recipe is just one of many different variations of the Space Cake. If you enjoyed this tutorial, it might be worth your time to dig a bit deeper and try a few more recipes to refine your cakes further.
If you’re new to the cannabis scene, it is essential to be aware of the intensity of cannabis edibles. If you’re making a Space Cake with cannabis extracts, you combine the most potent cannabis products on the market with the most intense form of consumption. Start low and go slow, especially with edibles.